Thursday, February 4, 2010

Wow. It's a good thing I was working late. Everyone was gone and, absorbed in my work, I didn't realize how late it was. I looked up to see Pippin standing atop a grape-vine wreath toy that we bought about a month ago. He was just standing there as he often does, atop it... but then I realized--he was stuck. His foot was caught somehow.

I went to look. A twig from the grapevine wreath had slid and then jammed into his leg band. No one else home, and what to do? The toy was zip-tied to the bars, and the scissors were nowhere to be seen. I fought panic as I looked around my study for them, and then Pippin began to struggle to get free, especially as I was about to leave the room to get scissors.

Cautiously, I put my hand in to see if I could break the twig off to free him, but no dice. Pippin started BITING my hand, and grabbed it with his other claw and HELD ON. I finally--after blood-drawing bites--got free of him, left the room for one minute praying madly, and then saw the strong scissors on my art-teacher daughter's bedroom desk. I grabbed them, and approached the cage. Luckily, Pippin was just standing there. He didn't freak out. MY heart was pounding, and I was praying hard. As I approached the cage, he shied and struggled as he saw the scissors coming at his feet. YIKES!

I knew I was going to get bitten again, and hard, but the adrenaline carried me through. I put my hand in, and Pippin latched on with his beak and i managed to cut the twig that held his foot and pull him (with it still lodged in his leg band) out. By God's grace, the leg seemed uninjured!

I held him on my hand and we both calmed down. He was bothered by the twig caught in the band (about 2" long), but growled at me when I tried to touch it. Then, in a twinkling, it was all over. He simply took it and slid it out from the band and was FREE! Trembling in every limb, with a VERY bloody, throbbing thumb--there are at least five separate, deep wounds--I cuddled my boy and thanked the Lord. Then, I put him down and took the scissors to the zip ties, and yanked that toy right out of the cage.

A few minutes more of cuddles, and letting him walk around on a leg that really seems thoroughly fine, I put him to bed.

What I'm probably MOST grateful for is that Pippin has always been a "sane" caique. Whether at the vet or getting toenails clipped, or during harness training, he just doesn't freak out. *I* do! Most often, in emergency situations like that, I can really react badly. In the midst of it, I kept praying for the strength I knew I didn't have to keep working to free Pippin even if he was going to be injured. In the end, we were both calm--I knew it was ALL up to me (with God's help, of course, but no other humans around)--and I am truly amazed that I was able to free him and that he didn't injure himself as far as I can tell. He stood on the leg, walked about, hopped, etc. I don't even mind that I was so badly bitten now that Pippin is safe. I'm just thanking my good God for help in a real time of need!

OH: PS... I was going to go out tonight with my hubby on a speaking engagement, but we both just felt "led" for me to stay home tonight. Guess now I now why. Thank you, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment