Monday, March 23, 2009

Choosing my boy

I got to FINALLY go to DJ Feathers and visit the clutch on which I had a first-pick deposit. Here's a little history so you can appreciate why I'm happy. I had originally wanted a boy (because of egg-laying issues in the future), and put down my deposit almost a month ago when the babies had just been mounted on the website. They were barely feathered: so little! Below was the picture of my boy the day before I put down that first deposit and got a glimpse of him.



The DNA tests were due back soon, but I thought for sure I'd have at least two boys to choose from when my time came.

SO, I was intrigued when the DNA tests for the clutch came back: three sisters and one brother! I thought, "Cool! The Lord has helped me to choose!" But then... of course... I second guessed... and wondered. Meanwhile, I could NOT get down to DJ! Work, family commitments, and friends all HAD to take preference (which I don't regret) but Dave wrote to say that the birds were getting really big and interactive. I hated to miss a moment, and felt that I'd be able to tell which one was mine by now if only I could get down to DJ Feathers and see the clutch.

Well, I got to go today. :::big smile::: Tammy looked up the band number of the one boy while I looked at all four birds together in their cage. She took them all out and put them into a rubber tub. Then fished the boy out and gave him to me. He was fine... but I still wanted to make SURE that he was my FIRST pick. It was an added bonus to meet Christine, from the ciaque forum, as I sat down on the couch. She encouraged me with how beautiful ALL the birds in this clutch were. I felt I could hardly make a mistake after that! They really WERE all beautiful.

So, I put him back into the tub with his sisters and sat back to observe all four birds. I wanted to see if any of them would jump towards me, or seek to interact; none did, really. After about ten minutes, I picked the one that I liked best, and walked away to interact away from the other three birds. I interacted with him for about a half and hour. Well, long story short, when I asked Tammy to check the band of the bird I liked the best, it turned out to be the one boy!!!v And we got along really well. So! Unless something unforeseen happens, I'm going to be bringing Pippin home near the end of April.

Here are some pictures of my beautiful boy today (isn't it an amazing difference in just a month?):

Are you my birdie? We're checking each other out.




Hi there... want a scritch? (feeling very tentative...)



After looking at them all for awhile, I decide.. I want that one...



My boy, Pippin!



He got on my shoulder and stayed there for about 3/4 hour...




Pippin also spent time on my head, hand, and then back to the shoulder.




After awhile, he even took a nap there.




I felt VERY happy and peaceful by the time we left after spending about 2 hours with Pippin. I'm thankful that Father made my choice so clear.

1 comment:

  1. awwwww!! he's so cute!!! i can't wait to meet him. he looks like a very happy little guy :D

    ReplyDelete